This sweet snack is flavored with tart cherries and tangy ginger. These fruity and fiber-packed scones are perfect for enjoying with a nice cup of tea or decaf coffee after dinner.
Ingredients: Quick-cooking oats, whole-wheat flour, dark brown sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, dried tart cherries, unsalted butter, buttermilk
We ramp up the goodness this tasty breakfast classic, Cherry-Oat Scones, with fruit, grains, and low-fat buttermilk.
- Yield: Makes: 8 scones (serving size: 1 scone)
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened, dried tart cherries
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling, optional
- Fat-free Greek yogurt and sugar-free jam, for serving, optional
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Place first 8 ingredients (through baking powder) in bowl of food processor. Pulse to combine. Add fruit and butter. Pulse again 15-20 times to form a sandy texture. Stir in buttermilk; pulse just enough to combine.
2. Drop 8 spoonfuls (about 1/2 cup each) onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Dab cold water over surface of each scone to smooth. Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp sugar, if desired. Bake until scones are golden and sugar has melted (about 30 minutes). Optional: Serve with fat-free Greek yogurt and sugar-free jam.
|Calories per serving:||248|
|Fat per serving:||7.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||42g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||16mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||122mg|
|Calcium per serving:||54mg|
Good to Know
You can replace the dried cherries with cranberries, raisins, or nuts.