Before branching out, take time to learn how to perform a basic squat correctly. When you squat, pretend you are sitting in a chair, and remember to keep your weight in your heels.
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart or slightly wider. Hold your hands at chest level for balance.
- Bend at your knees and hips, sticking your butt out like you’re sitting into an imaginary chair. Keep your chest lifted and your spine in neutral. Do not let your lower back round as you squat.
- Lower down so your thighs are as parallel to the floor as possible, keeping your knees over your ankles.
- Keep your core engaged as you press your heels into the floor to return to standing.
- Do two to three sets of 15 squats.
Basic Dumbbell Squat